Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Reflecting Easter 2 of 2




















For the past three days we have continued our tradition of the passion hymns and resurrection eggs.

Our hymns have included Christ the Lord is Risen Today, Old Rugged Cross, and Up from the Grave. While each one holds meaning for me, Old Rugged Cross has a particularly special spot in my heart.

There are two reasons. First, the words are very special to me. I have often visualized myself at the end of this earthly life lying down all of my "trophies", passions and gladly replacing it with a crown. Oh how I hope that He will say "Well done, good and faithful servant." And the second reason, each time I hear it I think of my grandfather's funeral. This song was sang and he had testified his love for Jesus in a quiet yet definite way for me in those last years.




Our resurrection eggs included a passover cup, three silver coins, and the praying hands. The passover cup represented His Last Supper He had with His disciples that Thursday before He died and how He wants us to continue to partake as a body of believers in the wine and bread in order to remember the sacrifice. Might we first come to the foot of the cross in humility receiving His forgiveness and then to the table to partake in His grace and relationship.

The three silver coins remind us of how Judas betrayed Him by turning Him over to the authorities and how we too continue to betray Him if we "hang out" with Him and those who love Him for our own selfish agendas. For we must be aware that the deceiver lurks, and amongst us there are false prophets and sheep that are not of His fold. For if we love Him, we will obey Him.

The praying hands were a reminder of His time in the garden when He cried out to the Father diligently before the soldiers and Judas came to take Him before Pilate. And, while He asked the Lord to take "this cup" from Him, He faithfully said but Your will be done. Might we do this as well!

No comments: