Thursday, November 12, 2009

Sweet Sleep! 1 of 3


















The foundation for a good day starts with good sleep. I have definitely seen evidence in this with my own experience. I know that when I have gone without adequate sleep for any period of time and without reprieve I have inevitably “paid the piper.” I have seen this, either through a wearing down of the immune system, developing habits that support a see-saw lifestyle, and an inability to efficiently focus on the activities of the day.

I know that this is not rocket science. And knowledge, alone, is not the only motivation for I consistently find myself enjoying those late hours. They are quiet. Not only quiet because the children are sleeping. But generally speaking, the world is sleeping. Less demands. No meals to make, phone calls cease, and the daily activities will patiently wait till morning. But then morning comes, and my energy is depleted from the late night adventure. Perhaps the "secret" is knowing what it is that brings each of us reprieve and planning into our otherwise busy lifestyles. For me, it is writing... well and mindlessly hanging out. And, the latter reinforces my continued late night escapades and more so when other links in my wellness cycle start to kink. Kinks are not all bad, but not over the long haul.

Even long term, I am seeing how this plays out. As I am approaching forty years old, I am seeing newer patterns in an inability to marathon or sprint through my activities, crash, and recover efficiently. I become even more worn down and I am more likely to get sick.

I know that my age only plays a part of it. In my current life-stage as a mother, I have struggled, often in denial, that steadiness is an essential tool for the trade. By steadiness, I mean pacing myself in the midst of the many responsibilities/privileges of motherhood versus erratically bouncing around.

While there may be seasons to justify the marathon or sprint approach; in general I wonder if these are actually indicators that a person is in the process of identifying and seeking a personal mission, purpose, and style; or perhaps he/she is struggling to surrender and focus. If in fact it is the former, then it must be seen as a temporary approach, and must be tempered with moderating forces so that the individual does not burn out. And if the latter is the situation, then lines of accountability should be established so that change can be prompted and encouraged.

No comments: