Sunday, December 19, 2010

Living Hope









I am reminded in a new way that we are truly headed home. Life is hard. It is a journey but thankfully it has purpose. And, in its midst we can experience joy. Often misconstrued as happiness. Happiness comes from the things that happen and the emotions that come and go. Rather joy comes when you know that something is coming and when it is revealed the next moment can not steal it away. It does not perish, spoil, or fade for it is kept in heaven. Joy- an unspeakable Joy. And, it lives in the unseen Jesus!

As hard as many things are in this life, I am growing more confident that we are getting a taste of what life looks like without Him directly governing. And, someday we can forever celebrate knowing that we won’t have to go back to life as we’ve known it. The older I become, my heart yearns for reconciliation with the Maker of our souls.

Between sickness, death, heartbreaks, and broken dreams I am seeing a more vivid awareness of how much I need a Living Hope. Any attempt to soothe these losses with material means, achievement, or other forms is only a temporary satisfaction. The deceiver of our souls finds such victory in distracting us from relaxing within that Living Hope.

“In his great mercy, he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil, or fade- this inheritance is kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God’s power- until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time.” 1 Peter 1:3-5

No fairy tale, here. No ancient myth. He is that Living Hope and there is an inheritance, and there is nothing that I did to earn it. He did it all. How many kings would step down from their thrones and be willing to become a helpless baby, a servant of men, and a personal sacrifice?

“Though I have not seen him, I love him; and even though I do not see him now, I believe in him and I am filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for I am receiving the goal of my faith, the salvation of my soul.”

This can be hard for me to fully grapple with because I know that personally I have not touched the surface of pain and hardships that many have endured. For me it is often my regrets that I let hold me down. A note to self: “surrender regrets and move forward allowing Him to do good things through me.”

No comments: