Friday, June 12, 2009

Reflections on... Contentment

















Signs of Despair...

Job 15 :1
1 "I loathe my very life;
therefore I will give free rein to my complaint
and speak out in the bitterness of my soul.

Wow, this was a Job kind of response. I know that Job loved God and God "kept" Him in the midst of his response. Victoriously, He brought him full circle to a richer understanding.
And, while I know there are so many that have come to the point that they "loathe their very life." I pray that they too would be committed as He is committed to us. Willing to wrestle as Jacob but not for our own gratification rather remembering that we are the created and He is the Creator. And there will be stuff... lots of yucky stuff that we won't grasp perhaps until we walk into His full presence.

I have not had a season such as this where I have loathed my own life. And, though the day may come; for now I pray that He will use me to bring hope to others.


Signs of Discontent...

Might we catch ourselves before the cravings of our hearts and our lack of discontentment become idols that offer hope but lead to destruction.

Proverbs 30:15
15 "The leech has two daughters.
'Give! Give!' they cry.
"There are three things that are never satisfied,
four that never say, 'Enough!'
16 the grave, the barren womb,
land, which is never satisfied with water,
and fire which never says, 'Enough!'


Signs of Abandonment...

Regardless of where we are "materially," at any moment are we able to say enthusiastically, "It is all for You!," expanding the kingdom through our circumstances and if He asked... would we be able to relinquish it?... all for the sake of the kingdom. For it is the kingdom for which we were made, not for such things or for ourselves living as an island in isolation.
As well abandoning any sense of obligation to asceticism rather enjoying the Earth in relationship with others. Knowing that this is a pale reflection of what is to come!

Ecclesiastes 6:6
6 even if he lives a thousand years twice over but fails to enjoy his prosperity. Do not all go to the same place?

No comments: